We held two separate 60/90 minute sessions, one for each age group.
Each session point/exercise has a link to the drill used – here
Younger Keepers – 2010-2013 (60 mins)
Four session points for this session;
- Catching – Basic catching – hand shapes, and repititions – here & here
- High catching here and here
- Knee down for a low shot – here
- Keeper Frisbee
Older Keepers – 2003-2009(90 mins)
Two session points for this session;
- Communication – making it clear to defenders whether you’re coming or leaving a cross – here
- 1 v 1 – the three stages of dealing with a lone striker – here
Tips for coaches – Confidence Cohesion Technique
Any coach can utilize these drills with their keeper. The objectives are the same – enhance footwork, follow the ball better with the eyes, and judge the flight of the ball.
A coach can use any one of the drills independently, and involve multiple players, especially attackers, to sharpen their skills too.
Try to encourage the keeper to use these skills – their footwork, their eyes and reflexes, and be brave to make the judgement calls and decisions that will come up regularly in games.