First clinic session since the season ended, we held a 60/90 minute session for each age groups.
Each session point/exercise has a link to the drill used – click on the highlighted word on each line – here
Younger Keepers – 2009-2012 (60 mins)
Two session points for this session;
- Catching – Basic catching – hand shapes, and repititions – here & here
- Footwork – Basic – Through cones and set and save – here
Older Keepers – 2003-2008 (90 mins)
Four session points for this session;
- Footwork – Intermediate – Through cones and set and save – here
- Distribution – targeted distribution with the feet when playing “high” – here & here
- Recovery – individuals in line, fall back recover and make save – here
Tips for coaches – Confidence Cohesion Technique
Any coach can utilize these drills with their keeper. The objectives are the same – enhance footwork, follow the ball better with the eyes, and judge the flight of the ball, improve kicking and catching.
A coach can use any one of the drills independently, and involve multiple players, especially attackers, to sharpen their skills too.
Try to encourage the keeper to use these skills – their footwork, their eyes and reflexes, and be brave to make the judgement calls and decisions that will come up regularly in games.