Having enjoyed our turkey, we held a 60 minute session for the Older age group.
Each session point/exercise has a link to the drill used – here
Each group begins with a thorough warm up
Older Keepers – 2001-2007
Six session points for this session;
- Basics – review handshape – here and review set position here
- Recovery/comfort off the line – build confidence recovering from ball over the head whilst off line, working as a team – here
- Diving/gathering – practice securing the ball when diving at a strikers feet – here
- Agility/Mental – testing the keepers’ mental agility and coping with discomfort – here
- Distribution – improving accuracy with throwing – here
- Penalties – saving penalties – here
Tips for coaches – Confidence Cohesion Technique
Any coach can utilize these drills with their keeper. The objectives are the same – enhance footwork, follow the ball better with the eyes, and judge the flight of the ball.
A coach can use any one of the drills independently, and involve multiple players, especially attackers, to sharpen their skills too.
Try to encourage the keeper to use these skills – their footwork, their eyes and reflexes, and be brave to make the judgement calls and decisions that will come up regularly in games.