We held two separate 90minute sessions, one for each age group.
Each session point/exercise has a link to the drill used – here
Younger Keepers – 2007-2010
Three session points for this session;
- Keeper frisbee – here
Older Keepers – 2001-2006
five session points for this session;
- Catching – kneeling, protect the ball and yourself – here
- Footwork – through cones, make save – here
- Judging flight of ball – judging high balls – here
- Set-position – make a set and save shot – here
- Recovery off ground – working as a team – here
Tips for coaches – Confidence Cohesion Technique
Any coach can utilize these drills with their keeper. The objectives are the same – enhance footwork, follow the ball better with the eyes, and judge the flight of the ball.
A coach can use any one of the drills independently, and involve multiple players, especially attackers, to sharpen their skills too.
Try to encourage the keeper to use these skills – their footwork, their eyes and reflexes, and be brave to make the judgement calls and decisions that will come up regularly in games.