the following are techniques we’ll be focussing on in the coming months, within our regular goalkeeping practices sessions.
SAFETY – At attacker’s feet – use your arm and hand to protect your face while using the other arm to collect ball – or use leg and torso to shield yourself – careful not to foul.
DIVING – how to fall, roll to disperse energy – step into dive – or sweep legs away – favored side – how to get up quickly.
CATCHING – use two hands to capture the ball – absorb the energy from the kick or else it will bounce off – pull ball into chest and wrap in arms – protect the ball.
PUNCHING – make a fist – punch the ball as it comes close, preferably away from goal and danger, preferably to the wings – judge flight of ball, keep your eyes on it throughout.
PARRYING / BLOCKING – when catching is difficult – be ready to follow up. Use of legs and torso to make yourself bigger – protect more of the goal.
FOOT MOVEMENT/PLACEMENT – quicker, more precise footwork – balance body – support dive or body movement.
- 6 yard box management – “boss your box”
- Help team mates awareness of danger
- Set up wall for free kick – set up defense for corners
- Where to stand – optimal “resting place”
- When ball up field and danger low
- Where to stand when the ball is just inside our half
- Where to stand when opponents are attacking in our third
- Technique- tactical application
- Accuracy- speed
- The baseball throw
- The sling
- Kicks (punt vs. Drop kick vs. Side winder)
- Goal kicks – dead ball kicks
- Distribution – sweeper keeper