We held two 60 minute sessions, one for each age groups.
Each session point/exercise has a link to the drill used – here
Each group begins with a thorough warm up
Younger Keepers – 2008-2011
Six session points for this session;
- Basics – handshape, positioning and goalkicks – here, here and here
- Protection – when on the ground – here and here
- Catching high balls struck from halfway line – here
- Catching – kneeling dive and save – here
- Keeper Frisbee – here
Older Keepers – 2001-2007
Five session points for this session;
- Catching high crosses, dealing with obstructions – here
- Recovery – off the floor and save – here
- Distribution – speedy delivery and execution – here
- Distribution – Target passing and receiving – here
Tips for coaches – Confidence Cohesion Technique
Any coach can utilize these drills with their keeper. The objectives are the same – enhance footwork, follow the ball better with the eyes, and judge the flight of the ball.
A coach can use any one of the drills independently, and involve multiple players, especially attackers, to sharpen their skills too.
Try to encourage the keeper to use these skills – their footwork, their eyes and reflexes, and be brave to make the judgement calls and decisions that will come up regularly in games.